lunes, 23 de abril de 2012

ENTREVISTA CON DIEGO PATIÑO



Chris Badger & Will Edwards









                                                       

Jacky Winter Group


First of all, I´d like to thank you for having dedicated the time for this interview.  


     1. We, all who consider us to be real design lovers, know that you are a very well-known public figure in this subject area. Would you mind telling us a little bit about yourself?

 I am really far to reach such a highly recognized status, so thank you; that made me feel very warmly received.


   2. Are you a freelancer? If so, what do you do to get clients? 

     Yes, I have been working as a full time graphic mercenary for the last six years. It is usually considered to be a professional position very closely related to freedom, but actually, it requires plenty of sacrifice. There are good months and bad ones. There´s scarcely no rest, and normally, Saturdays and Sundays are the heaviest days of the week. You must be extremely patient, and in fact, you never really get to know if you will succeed or fail. It means a true risk, so I wouldn´t recommend the experience.
I don´t use any strategy to get clients; I mean, I don´t go for hunting customers because I do not consider myself to be patient enough so as to show me as real sales man.
By the way, I neatly take care of my web profile. Also and for the last period, the Australian Group Jacky Winter represents me, and that fact has turned things easier for me.
Practically speaking, the best thing you can do is to give all you can from that very first work opportunity, and to upload it, to take it to the clouds or whatever they may call that, so as to make it known.

3. How did you start to go in for this? Are you self-educated or did you take any studies?

I´m a journalist. I worked writing about Economy and Technology, but all these affairs didn´t satisfied me at all so I lost interest on it. It was then when I decided to explore other fields such as graphic and publishing design, and as I was working in a publishing house in Bogota, I was asked for the first time to illustrate for Soho. They knew about my drawing, though for me it was just a way to kill my time.
The Soho offer couldn´t have been more appropriate, because shortly after I was allowed to leave the publishing house to deeply dedicate my time to illustrate.
I have no formal education on Arts, so I think that makes me to be self-taught.


4. How is your whole process from the sketch to the final product? Is your work totally handmade?

I sketch the drawings on paper and with pencil, that´s true. But at the moment, I´m focusing more on the idea, rather than on the form. This means serious investigation, so when I finally get to something I really like, I just try to execute it. It´s a dull process like cutting the pieces of a puzzle one by one.
Hereafter you face the postproduction, where the essence is the edition in itself. It is my favorite part of the process because you start joining and giving sense to all that pieces and then you form the puzzle.
 It could be also considered like solving a crime. Here is where I consider the computer to be the most appropriate tool. My work is handmade; in contrast, I also work with a digital pen. 
There are so many legends going around what is unkindly known as “digital illustration”, when actually, there´s no real distinction at all. I think that people normally have an unnecessary and somehow pretentious caution towards digital tools. But in my opinion, anyone could be amazing either using traditional methods or digital ones.

5. What does inspire you when you are creating? Why do you think that your designs are so special? 

My main motivation is thinking of the final product, the illustration, when published, and the people´s impression. I´d like to see their reactions so as to check if my first intention is similar to what they perceive, or if, on the contrary, it has become a complete different thing. My inspiration is inside my work, it has to be like that.
I´m not a graphic designer. There´s an opposite relationship in how they see their own work. 
A graphic designer adapts himself to a client by pursuing his identity. However, people want me for what I do and what I did, because it´s closer to my identity, and not to the client´s.
In Darwinian words, I am in a difficult position, because most people don´t like my work.
I don´t know what makes design or graphic arts to be so special. I don´t think of my work very often. Nonetheless, I guess it has to do with being a channel between form and content, and the way they connect with the audience.

6. Did you illustrate as a child? What was your favorite comic? What about a current one?

Yes, it was something I used to do a lot when I was a child. Specially to imitate my brother who was always a better drawer and storyteller than I will be. 
I used to read – and I continue doing it- to Tintin and also Superman, Batman, Flash’s comics which Cinco Editora published. I can add Condorito, Memin and Asterix.
My uncle had a Mafalda‘s collection which also caused a huge impact on me. Ah! And the inevitable Fontanarrosa’s Boogie.
Now I read Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns, and Chris Ware and so on, and some Japanese authors such as Moto Hagio and Hitosi Iwaaki in whom I am interested at the moment. Moreover, I feel a big attraction towards crime and horror stories previous to the 50’s censure code and I have recently become a devotee of Oesterheld’s El Eternauta.

7. Do you think that your technique has changed with the passing of the years?

Yes, of course. You can´t help it. But rather than being somewhat experimental, I´ve always known where I wanted to take my work in aesthetical words.


8. Have you got any references? 

Yes, I´ve got plenty of them. Hergé, the Garbage Pail Kids, Charles Burns, Tim Lane´s comics…So many things…

9. Do you think that designers are office workers?

That´s not a rule. I guess some of them will, and some others won´t.  I´m not an office animal. I wasn´t trained for it, and in fact, I hate leaving home except for sushi, a whiskey bottle or to take a plane. Normally I wake up not earlier than twelve o´clock and I work till two, three or four in the morning. It keeps being monotonous, I guess, but, without a doubt, it is not an office timetable. Besides, when I think I´m not submitted to the humming of bad installed fluorine lights and the stale coffee breath of a mean boss looking at me over his shoulder, I feel so relieved.
Offices are horrible. The only thing they want is to see you early at work. They don’t care about your efficiency, if you are preparing a bill, or fantasizing with the sales girl Facebook profile. They just want you to warm your seat. Offices are the worst and poorest excuse to go out early on Friday.

10. Have you ever felt that you´d lost your creativity? If so, how did you solve it?

When you leave a blank page, it´s because you have nothing to say. Beyond that, there is no mystery.

11. What would you recommend to those people who want to dedicate their lives to the design field?

Giving advices is a horrible habit; I couldn’t do it to anyone. Or maybe yes. Although it’s only something to take into account. That’s what Milton Glaser said about admitting the failure. I already have an email from an editor from Chicago who tells me that my illustrations would surely make her to have nightmares. She, I am pretty sure, considered herself really funny when she sent it to me (and it hurt me really deep when I received it). But later on I thought that it is not so common to cause that kind of reaction in a person. So I can’t be so bad. Her indifference would have hurt me much more.
Failing is essential. We have to accept it and take it strongly.

12. Could you tell us something about your work experience with magazines such as El Malpensante and Soho?

I don’t usually visit any illustration websites, and the few I follow belong to some friends of mine I like to see, just to recreate myself and to know what they feel and think when they are creating.

13. What websites do you usually visit?

As I said, Soho was the magazine where I first published. I owe them that initial confidence though there are some aspects concerning with our relationship that make me feel a kind of displeasure today. I still disagree with the way they see the illustration.
El Malpensante, on the other hand, somehow embodies my home professionally speaking. I owe them my whole career. They have a very professional and serious concept of the work and I've been lucky to rely on the guidance and collaboration of its staff. There is no other magazine where I feel freer to discuss and perform my ideas. No doubt, those are the works I'm most pride of and the most outside awarded works too.

14. You have also worked for Bicentenario Pop.  Before the exposition organizers asked you to illustrate the character La Pola, did you already know her? What did you imagine she would be like?


Policarpa Salavarrieta is a very popular character in the Colombian history, so I´ve known her very well since my school days. Along with the Bicentenario Pop exposition, this time, came a more critical investigation process that made me very skeptical in relation to the figure of this woman as a heroine. There is even a previous version, rejected by the organizers, in which I drew her as a giant parasite with a sack of eggs hanging on her.
I think that she was a woman overcome by a very teenager like energy and naïve reasons; and for me, defending a cause so devoted and blindly means distrusting. Maybe that´s why I added some details like the mask and the hidden gun.

15. Where could we find your online portfolio?


You can also follow me on Twitter: 


http://twitter.com/#!/votefordiego



16. To sum up, could you tell us what´s your favorite book, film and music group or singer?

It´s hard to choose only three, so I will say the first thing that comes to my mind. A music group, Sparklehorse (or any other project by Mark Linkous). A book, El Mejor de los Mundos, by Quim Monzó. And a film, Heat by Michael Mann.


Translator: Cristina Galdeano Romero
Interview by Doris Curtis








En primer lugar quería agradecerle el tiempo que va a dedicar a esta entrevista.





1.Todos aquellos que nos consideramos amantes del diseño sabemos que es usted una figura muy considerada dentro de este mundo.¿Le importaría hablarnos un poco sobre sí mismo?

Todavía estoy lejos de alcanzar un estatus de tanto reconocimiento, así que gracias, me hacen sentir muy bien recibido.


2.¿Es usted un FreeLancer? Si es así, ¿Qué métodos utiliza para atraer/encontrar clientes?


Sí, desde hace seis años soy mercenario gráfico de tiempo completo. Es una posición profesional que se asocia con libertad pero lo cierto es que demanda muchísimos sacrificios. Hay meses malos y buenos. No hay tregua y el sábado y el domingo son por lo general dos días más de la semana. Se debe tener una paciencia a prueba de balas y la idea de que lo estás haciendo es esencialmente un apuesta de todo o nada a futuro. No lo recomiendo.
No tengo una estrategia para buscar clientes. Es decir, no salgo a cazar trabajos porque no tengo la paciencia de un vendedor así sea para venderme a mí mismo.
Por otro lado, soy cuidadoso en mantener actualizada mi presencia en internet. También y desde hace un tiempo me representa el Jacky Winter Group con base en Australia y eso ha facilitado un poco las cosas. 
En términos prácticos, lo mejor que se puede hacer es dar todo de sí desde ese primer trabajo que alguien te confía y cuanto sea posible subirlo a la red o la nube o como quieran llamarlo.

3.¿Cómo se inició en este campo? ¿Estudió algo o es autodidacta?

Tengo un diploma que dice que soy periodista. Trabajé durante un tiempo escribiendo sobre temas de economía y tecnología pero perdí el gusto por muchas de las cosas que involucraban el medio y la práctica. Decidí entonces explorar otros territorios como el diseño gráfico y la edición editorial y mientras trabajaba en una casa editorial en Bogotá me pidieron hacer mis primeras ilustraciones para Soho.
Ellos sabían que yo dibujaba aunque para mí fuera algo más bien con que matar el tiempo.

La propuesta de Soho no pudo ser más conveniente porque al poco tiempo me ‘dejaron ir’ de la editorial y pude dedicarme de tiempo completo y más seriamente a la ilustración.
No tengo una educación formal en artes; supongo que eso me convierte en autodidacta.

4.¿Cuál es su proceso de diseño típico desde el boceto hasta el producto terminado? Parece que su trabajo es fundamentalmente hecho a mano.

Planeo todo en papel y lápiz, es cierto. Pero en esta etapa no le dedico mucho tiempo a la forma como a la idea, al qué contar y cómo hacerlo. Esto involucra mucha investigación y cuando doy con una idea que me gusta simplemente la ejecuto. Es un proceso tedioso, como cortar a mano cada pieza de un rompecabezas. 
Luego viene la etapa de posproducción, donde en esencia se edita. Es mi parte del proceso favorita porque le buscas sentido a esas piezas que antes recortaste y armas el rompecabezas. Como resolver un crimen.
Acá es donde encuentro que el computador es una herramienta más adecuada. Mi trabajo está hecho a mano, con la diferencia de que trabajo con una pluma digital. 
Hay muchos mitos alrededor de lo que desagradablemente se llama ‘ilustración digital’, como si hubiera alguna distinción real. Siento que mucha gente tiene un prevención innecesaria y un tanto pretenciosa respecto a las herramientas digitales; pero yo pienso que se puede tan malo usando un pincel y un tintero como una pluma Wacom. 

5.¿Qué le motiva? ¿Cuál es su fuente de inspiración a la hora de diseñar? ¿Qué cree que hace que el diseño sea tan especial?

Me motiva pensar en el producto final, en la ilustración publicada y la impresión que pueda causar en las personas. Me gusta ver cómo reaccionan, si la intención original de lo que quería contar se asimila o si en cambio se convierte en otra cosa. Las fuentes de inspiración están en el material mismo sobre el que trabajo, no podría ser de otra manera.
Yo no soy un diseñador gráfico y existe una relación inversa en cómo estos ven su trabajo. El diseñador gráfico se adapta a un cliente persiguiendo su identidad. A mí en cambio me buscan por lo que hago o he hecho anteriormente y que responde más 
a mi identidad que a la del cliente. En términos darwinianos estoy en una posición comprometida y frágil porque lo que hago no le gusta a una mayoría.

No sé qué hace al diseño o las artes gráficas especiales. El oficio no es algo sobre lo que me dedique a meditar muy seguido. Sin embargo supongo que tiene que ver con ser un canal entre la forma y el contenido y la manera en que estos se conectan con una audiencia.

6- ¿En tu infancia solías ilustrar? Tenias algún cómic favorito? y en la actualidad?

Sí, era algo que solía hacer mucho de niño. Sobretodo para imitar a mi hermano quien siempre fue un mucho mejor dibujante y narrador de historias de lo que yo jamás seré.
Leía—y sigo haciéndolo—a Tintín y también las tiras cómicas de Superman, Batman, Flash, etc, que publicaba Editora Cinco. Puedo añadir a Condorito, Memín y Ásterix. 
Mi tío tenía una colección Mafalda que también causó algún impactó. Ah y el infaltable Boogie de Fontanarrosa.
Ahora leo a Daniel Clowes, Charles Burns, Chris Ware, etc, y algunos autores japoneses como Moto Hagio y Hitosi Iwaaki que me interesan de un tiempo para acá. También siento una gran atracción por las historietas de crimen y horror previas al código de censura de los cincuenta y recientemente me convertí en un devoto de El Eternauta de Oesterheld.

7-¿Siente que ha cambiado su técnica con el paso del tiempo?

Sí, por supuesto. Es algo inevitable. Pero más allá de ser un proceso experimental, siempre he tenido una certidumbre de hacia dónde quiero llegar con mi trabajo en términos estéticos. Esa evolución técnica ha tenido un norte.



8- ¿Tienes algún referente?

Tengo muchísimos. Los primeros que vienen a mi cabeza son Hergé, los Garbage Pail Kids, Charles Burns, Tim Lane, los cómics. Son tantas cosas.

9.¿Piensa que los diseñadores son trabajadores de oficina?

No podría generalizar. Supongo que algunos lo son y otros no. Yo no soy animal de oficia. Nunca fui domesticado en ese sentido y de hecho detesto salir de mi casa por algo que no implique una bandeja de sushi, una botella de whisky o un avión. Normalmente no estoy despierto antes de las doce y suelo trabajar hasta las tres o cuatro de la mañana. Sigue siendo rutinario, supongo, pero sin duda no corresponde a un horario de oficina.  Además, cuando pienso que no estoy sometido al zumbido de unas luces de flúor mal instaladas o al aliento a café rancio de un jefe mezquino mirando por encima de mi hombro siento que puedo respirar tranquilo.
Las oficinas son una verdadera desgracia. Allí sólo quieren verte entrar temprano y marcar tarjeta. Es irrelevante qué tan ineficiente eres, si estás haciendo una factura o si fantaseas morbosamente con las fotos del Facebook de la chica de ventas; lo importante es que te vean sentado calentando tu asiento. Las oficinas son la peor y más pobre excusa inventada para salir temprano los viernes.

10- ¿Te has encontrado usted alguna vez con la sensación de "perdida de creatividad? Si es así, ¿que has hecho para remediarlo?

Cuando la página está en blanco es porque no tienes nada que decir. Más allá, no hay ningún misterio.


11.¿Qué aconsejaría a personas que quieran dedicarse al diseño?

Dar consejos es un vicio terrible; no podría hacerle ese mal a nadie. O tal vez sí. Aunque sólo se trate de una cosa para tener en cuenta. Eso que dijo Milton Glaser acerca de acoger el fallar, el perder. Todavía tengo un correo de una editora en Chicago que me dice que mis ilustraciones con seguridad le producirán pesadillas. Ella, estoy seguro, se creyó graciosísima cuando me lo envió (y a mí me dolió terriblemente cuando lo recibí). Pero luego pensé que no es común causar una reacción así en alguien. Así que no puede ser tan malo. Su indiferencia me hubiera dolido más. 
Fallar es esencial. Hay que acogerlo y tomarlo con fuerza.

12.¿Qué páginas web de ilustración sueles frecuentar?

No visito muchos sitios de ilustración. Quizá los de los pocos amigos ilustradores que tengo y eso lo hago más como espectador que como ilustrador para recrearme y ver en qué están pensando.

13- ¿Podrías hablarnos de la experiencia que ha supuesto para usted trabajar con revistas tales como El Malpensante y SoHo?

Como dije, Soho fue la primera revista donde publiqué. Les debo esa confianza inicial aunque hay aspectos de nuestra relación que hoy me dejan con cierto sinsabor. Todavía disiento sobre la forma cómo ven la ilustración.
El Malpensante, por otro lado, encarna de alguna manera mi hogar en términos profesionales. Les debo toda mi carrera. Tienen una idea muy profesional y seria del oficio y he tenido la suerte de contar con la guía y colaboración de su equipo. No existe otra revista donde tenga más libertad o espacio para discutir mis ideas y la forma como las ejecuto. Son los trabajos de los que sin duda me siento más orgulloso y también los que más han premiado en el exterior.

14- Has trabajado también para Bicentenario Pop. Antes de que los organizadores de la exposición te pidieran ilustrar al personaje de "La Pola", ¿conocías ya el personaje? Como te la imaginabas? 

Policarpa Salavarrieta es un personaje muy popular de la historia colombiana, así que tenía una buena idea de quién era desde que estaba en el colegio. Con la exposición del Bicentenario Pop vino un proceso de investigación que en esta ocasión fue más crítico y que terminó por generarme mucho escepticismo respecto a la figura de este mujer como una heroína. Existe incluso una versión previa rechazada por los organizadores en la que la retrato como un parásito gigante del 
que se desprende un saco cargado de huevos.

Creo que era una mujer invadida por un ímpetu casi adolescente y razones muy ingenuas, y para mí, entregarse a una causa con tanta devoción y ceguera suele producirme desconfianza. Quizá por eso incluí algunos detalles como el antifaz y el revólver oculto.

15- ¿Dónde podemos encontrar tu portafolio online?


16- Para terminar, ¿podrías decirnos un grupo musical, un libro y una película favoritas?

Difícil escoger sólo tres, así que diré lo primero que se me viene a la cabeza. Un grupo: Sparklehorse (o cualquier proyecto endorsado por Mark Linkous). Un libro: El Mejor de los Mundos de Quim Monzó. Una peli: Heat de Michael Mann.


Traducción: Critina Galdeano Romero
Entrevista: Doris Curtis


Kiss kiss,bang bang!!


1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Doris curtis! me molan un monton lo que subes... eres genial